Teenage Wonderland

Come and chat with us - from preteens to young adults, males and females - all here to talk with you!
 
HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 And the winner is...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MonitorTheSmellOfRain

avatar

Posts : 193
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 25
Location : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:19 am

Obama!


I am sure you are all shocked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MonitorMirage

avatar

Posts : 303
Join date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:21 am

It really bothers me how some people (my friends) are like "OBAMA! OBAMA" when they don't even know anything he represents or even anything about US politics at all. Not saying it's bad they don't know, because I don't either. But seriously, be informed before you do stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chip

avatar

Posts : 42
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 28
Location : Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:38 am

MonitorMirage wrote:
It really bothers me how some people (my friends) are like "OBAMA! OBAMA" when they don't even know anything he represents or even anything about US politics at all. Not saying it's bad they don't know, because I don't either. But seriously, be informed before you do stuff like that.

You don't always have to know a ton about politics to like someone. He's going to be the face of America now and he's the perfect fit for that. You don't have to understand politics to know that.

And even if it's because of his race, that's progressive at least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SubjectToChange

avatar

Posts : 56
Join date : 2008-10-27
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:47 am

And here we go. Everyone please welcome John F. Kennedy, part 2.

And that's not a compliment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabstah
Admin
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 28
Location : Vancouver, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:54 am

I love how people threaten to move to Canada. Since, you know, we're WAY more conservative up here, the Republicans will fit in so well.

_________________
Gabby drunken

she called out a warning, warning: don't ever let life pass you by.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teenagewonderland.omgforum.net
MonitorTheSmellOfRain

avatar

Posts : 193
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 25
Location : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:37 am

SubjectToChange wrote:
And here we go. Everyone please welcome John F. Kennedy, part 2.

And that's not a compliment.
That was just uncalled for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xEvaporation

avatar

Posts : 41
Join date : 2008-10-28
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:54 am

MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
SubjectToChange wrote:
And here we go. Everyone please welcome John F. Kennedy, part 2.

And that's not a compliment.
That was just uncalled for.

But, probably true. I'm sure within the first two years, he will get killed. I don't care how high security is now, and I am sure it will be CRAZY high for him, it is still possible to shot someone despite all of that.

I don't know how I feel. I knew he would win. As I was going to the polls yesterday to vote, I had planned on not voting for president at all. Neither really stood out to me as someone that I KNOW I would want leading the country I live in. But, I just got a hunch that Obama would win. Now all we get to hear about from now until the next president is how he is the first black president. Yay. I'm overjoyed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheGirlFromYesterday

avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2008-10-28
Age : 25
Location : United States of America

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:36 pm

Chip wrote:
MonitorMirage wrote:
It really bothers me how some people (my friends) are like "OBAMA! OBAMA" when they don't even know anything he represents or even anything about US politics at all. Not saying it's bad they don't know, because I don't either. But seriously, be informed before you do stuff like that.

You don't always have to know a ton about politics to like someone. He's going to be the face of America now and he's the perfect fit for that. You don't have to understand politics to know that.

And even if it's because of his race, that's progressive at least.
He's the perfect guy to represent a country that's fallen so far.

And he's not even black. He's biracial. The liberals are always squawking about political correctness and how you shouldn't call biracial people black or white. Just biracial. So here we have someone biracial winning and all of a sudden he's black?

Interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://suburbanglamour.blogspot.com
Kurt Vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 18
Join date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:06 pm

Gabstah wrote:
I love how people threaten to move to Canada. Since, you know, we're WAY more conservative up here, the Republicans will fit in so well.

I know, I was telling a friend that today when she threatened to move to Canada. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MonitorTheSmellOfRain

avatar

Posts : 193
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 25
Location : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:07 pm

TheGirlFromYesterday wrote:
Chip wrote:
MonitorMirage wrote:
It really bothers me how some people (my friends) are like "OBAMA! OBAMA" when they don't even know anything he represents or even anything about US politics at all. Not saying it's bad they don't know, because I don't either. But seriously, be informed before you do stuff like that.

You don't always have to know a ton about politics to like someone. He's going to be the face of America now and he's the perfect fit for that. You don't have to understand politics to know that.

And even if it's because of his race, that's progressive at least.
He's the perfect guy to represent a country that's fallen so far.

And he's not even black. He's biracial. The liberals are always squawking about political correctness and how you shouldn't call biracial people black or white. Just biracial. So here we have someone biracial winning and all of a sudden he's black?

Interesting.
He is black. He's just also white.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabstah
Admin
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 28
Location : Vancouver, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:35 pm

Kurt Vonnegut wrote:
Gabstah wrote:
I love how people threaten to move to Canada. Since, you know, we're WAY more conservative up here, the Republicans will fit in so well.

I know, I was telling a friend that today when she threatened to move to Canada. Rolling Eyes

Hahaha good. We already have Alberta, we don't want any more conservatives.

_________________
Gabby drunken

she called out a warning, warning: don't ever let life pass you by.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teenagewonderland.omgforum.net
TheGirlFromYesterday

avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2008-10-28
Age : 25
Location : United States of America

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:54 pm

MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
TheGirlFromYesterday wrote:
Chip wrote:
MonitorMirage wrote:
It really bothers me how some people (my friends) are like "OBAMA! OBAMA" when they don't even know anything he represents or even anything about US politics at all. Not saying it's bad they don't know, because I don't either. But seriously, be informed before you do stuff like that.

You don't always have to know a ton about politics to like someone. He's going to be the face of America now and he's the perfect fit for that. You don't have to understand politics to know that.

And even if it's because of his race, that's progressive at least.
He's the perfect guy to represent a country that's fallen so far.

And he's not even black. He's biracial. The liberals are always squawking about political correctness and how you shouldn't call biracial people black or white. Just biracial. So here we have someone biracial winning and all of a sudden he's black?

Interesting.
He is black. He's just also white.
Yeah, I guess. But when I call someone black, I mean someone who comes from two black parents, just like when I call someone white, he or she has two white parents. Someone who has one parent from each race is biracial.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://suburbanglamour.blogspot.com
SubjectToChange

avatar

Posts : 56
Join date : 2008-10-27
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 pm

xEvaporation wrote:
MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
SubjectToChange wrote:
And here we go. Everyone please welcome John F. Kennedy, part 2.

And that's not a compliment.
That was just uncalled for.

But, probably true. I'm sure within the first two years, he will get killed. I don't care how high security is now, and I am sure it will be CRAZY high for him, it is still possible to shot someone despite all of that.

I don't know how I feel. I knew he would win. As I was going to the polls yesterday to vote, I had planned on not voting for president at all. Neither really stood out to me as someone that I KNOW I would want leading the country I live in. But, I just got a hunch that Obama would win. Now all we get to hear about from now until the next president is how he is the first black president. Yay. I'm overjoyed.
That's true, although I meant the comparison not so much as a warning against assassination as a harbinger for mediocrity. But the parallelism continues to prove my point.

JFK and Obama each bring some "novelty" to the Oval Office. JFK was the first Catholic in office, and Obama is the first black. Both of them are very young to be elected President, and age likely played not just a small part in wide appeal to the public, especially since both had much older, veteran opponents (Nixon and McCain). Both were junior senators before President, with less than 10 years in national politics, and neither of them had any executive experience. Both have ties to Harvard University and have proven to be charismatic and eloquent speakers. And both Kennedy and Obama were Democrats elected on the heels of two-term war-driven Republican Presidents (Eisenhower and Bush).

What most people remember about Kennedy was usually one of three things:
1) He was assassinated
2) He was tested in the Cuban Missile Crisis
3) He failed miserably with the Bay of Pigs Invasion

Airport namesake aside, most historians agree that JFK was an average President. I hope Barack Obama can break trend and be better, perhaps with more memorable credentials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MonitorTheSmellOfRain

avatar

Posts : 193
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 25
Location : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:31 am

TheGirlFromYesterday wrote:
MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
TheGirlFromYesterday wrote:
Chip wrote:
MonitorMirage wrote:
It really bothers me how some people (my friends) are like "OBAMA! OBAMA" when they don't even know anything he represents or even anything about US politics at all. Not saying it's bad they don't know, because I don't either. But seriously, be informed before you do stuff like that.

You don't always have to know a ton about politics to like someone. He's going to be the face of America now and he's the perfect fit for that. You don't have to understand politics to know that.

And even if it's because of his race, that's progressive at least.
He's the perfect guy to represent a country that's fallen so far.

And he's not even black. He's biracial. The liberals are always squawking about political correctness and how you shouldn't call biracial people black or white. Just biracial. So here we have someone biracial winning and all of a sudden he's black?

Interesting.
He is black. He's just also white.
Yeah, I guess. But when I call someone black, I mean someone who comes from two black parents, just like when I call someone white, he or she has two white parents. Someone who has one parent from each race is biracial.
Well, I mean technically yes, he's both black and white. But when people are talking black/white they're generally talking pigment of skin, not heritage. And his pigment is definately more "black" than white.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MonitorTheSmellOfRain

avatar

Posts : 193
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 25
Location : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:33 am

SubjectToChange wrote:
xEvaporation wrote:
MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
SubjectToChange wrote:
And here we go. Everyone please welcome John F. Kennedy, part 2.

And that's not a compliment.
That was just uncalled for.

But, probably true. I'm sure within the first two years, he will get killed. I don't care how high security is now, and I am sure it will be CRAZY high for him, it is still possible to shot someone despite all of that.

I don't know how I feel. I knew he would win. As I was going to the polls yesterday to vote, I had planned on not voting for president at all. Neither really stood out to me as someone that I KNOW I would want leading the country I live in. But, I just got a hunch that Obama would win. Now all we get to hear about from now until the next president is how he is the first black president. Yay. I'm overjoyed.
That's true, although I meant the comparison not so much as a warning against assassination as a harbinger for mediocrity. But the parallelism continues to prove my point.

JFK and Obama each bring some "novelty" to the Oval Office. JFK was the first Catholic in office, and Obama is the first black. Both of them are very young to be elected President, and age likely played not just a small part in wide appeal to the public, especially since both had much older, veteran opponents (Nixon and McCain). Both were junior senators before President, with less than 10 years in national politics, and neither of them had any executive experience. Both have ties to Harvard University and have proven to be charismatic and eloquent speakers. And both Kennedy and Obama were Democrats elected on the heels of two-term war-driven Republican Presidents (Eisenhower and Bush).

What most people remember about Kennedy was usually one of three things:
1) He was assassinated
2) He was tested in the Cuban Missile Crisis
3) He failed miserably with the Bay of Pigs Invasion

Airport namesake aside, most historians agree that JFK was an average President. I hope Barack Obama can break trend and be better, perhaps with more memorable credentials.

Your post reminds me of 8th grade American History when my teacher was telling us a whole bunch of comparisons between Lincoln and JFK.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SubjectToChange

avatar

Posts : 56
Join date : 2008-10-27
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:53 am

MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
Your post reminds me of 8th grade American History when my teacher was telling us a whole bunch of comparisons between Lincoln and JFK.
I don't think that there are that many similarities between Lincoln and Kennedy. When I first heard about Obama gaining popularity back in '05, JFK came to my mind almost immediately. Seriously, almost all my friends who were Democrats were infatuated with the guy--just like Kennedy in the '50s.

I never understood why Democrats (mostly young ones) were so excited about him. Honestly, he hasn't even finished half a term in the Senate, and people thought he would be a better Presidential candidate for the Dems than senior party chieftains like Senate Caucus VP Charles Schumer and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid? Seriously, the rookie senator from Illinois with 3 years experience over veterans of over 20 years? Very strange decision, indeed.

But Obama is the President Elect, and he's going to need all the support he can get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MonitorTheSmellOfRain

avatar

Posts : 193
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 25
Location : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:46 am

SubjectToChange wrote:
MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
Your post reminds me of 8th grade American History when my teacher was telling us a whole bunch of comparisons between Lincoln and JFK.
I don't think that there are that many similarities between Lincoln and Kennedy. When I first heard about Obama gaining popularity back in '05, JFK came to my mind almost immediately. Seriously, almost all my friends who were Democrats were infatuated with the guy--just like Kennedy in the '50s.

I never understood why Democrats (mostly young ones) were so excited about him. Honestly, he hasn't even finished half a term in the Senate, and people thought he would be a better Presidential candidate for the Dems than senior party chieftains like Senate Caucus VP Charles Schumer and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid? Seriously, the rookie senator from Illinois with 3 years experience over veterans of over 20 years? Very strange decision, indeed.

But Obama is the President Elect, and he's going to need all the support he can get.
It was a few years ago, so I don't remember them all, but she had a list that was pages long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheGirlFromYesterday

avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2008-10-28
Age : 25
Location : United States of America

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:52 pm

MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
SubjectToChange wrote:
MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
Your post reminds me of 8th grade American History when my teacher was telling us a whole bunch of comparisons between Lincoln and JFK.
I don't think that there are that many similarities between Lincoln and Kennedy. When I first heard about Obama gaining popularity back in '05, JFK came to my mind almost immediately. Seriously, almost all my friends who were Democrats were infatuated with the guy--just like Kennedy in the '50s.

I never understood why Democrats (mostly young ones) were so excited about him. Honestly, he hasn't even finished half a term in the Senate, and people thought he would be a better Presidential candidate for the Dems than senior party chieftains like Senate Caucus VP Charles Schumer and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid? Seriously, the rookie senator from Illinois with 3 years experience over veterans of over 20 years? Very strange decision, indeed.

But Obama is the President Elect, and he's going to need all the support he can get.
It was a few years ago, so I don't remember them all, but she had a list that was pages long.
This? I read that awhile ago. It's pretty interesting, even if most of it is made up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://suburbanglamour.blogspot.com
MonitorTheSmellOfRain

avatar

Posts : 193
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 25
Location : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:41 am

TheGirlFromYesterday wrote:
MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
SubjectToChange wrote:
MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
Your post reminds me of 8th grade American History when my teacher was telling us a whole bunch of comparisons between Lincoln and JFK.
I don't think that there are that many similarities between Lincoln and Kennedy. When I first heard about Obama gaining popularity back in '05, JFK came to my mind almost immediately. Seriously, almost all my friends who were Democrats were infatuated with the guy--just like Kennedy in the '50s.

I never understood why Democrats (mostly young ones) were so excited about him. Honestly, he hasn't even finished half a term in the Senate, and people thought he would be a better Presidential candidate for the Dems than senior party chieftains like Senate Caucus VP Charles Schumer and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid? Seriously, the rookie senator from Illinois with 3 years experience over veterans of over 20 years? Very strange decision, indeed.

But Obama is the President Elect, and he's going to need all the support he can get.
It was a few years ago, so I don't remember them all, but she had a list that was pages long.
This? I read that awhile ago. It's pretty interesting, even if most of it is made up.
Yeah, I think most of those were on the list the teacher read, but the teacher had a list that was litterally pages long.

Most of it was made up? There are only 3 things listed as possibly not being true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diet Coke

avatar

Posts : 35
Join date : 2008-10-27
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:08 am

SubjectToChange wrote:
And here we go. Everyone please welcome John F. Kennedy, part 2.

And that's not a compliment.

JFK + MLK = Obama
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SubjectToChange

avatar

Posts : 56
Join date : 2008-10-27
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:56 am

Diet Coke wrote:
SubjectToChange wrote:
And here we go. Everyone please welcome John F. Kennedy, part 2.

And that's not a compliment.

JFK + MLK = Obama
To be honest, I don't really see many similarities between Barack Obama and Martin Luther King Jr. Obama isn't really a civil rights activist, and MLK wasn't a politician. MLK had a famous "I have a dream" speech, and Obama's campaign slogan is "Change", which is so ambiguous and undefined, it might mean there's some promising future or dream. I don't really see any other good comparisons. Oh, they're both black. So is 11% of the US population.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Antidepressant

avatar

Posts : 54
Join date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:17 am

Well, I'm happy.

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheGirlFromYesterday

avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2008-10-28
Age : 25
Location : United States of America

PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:07 am

MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
TheGirlFromYesterday wrote:
MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
SubjectToChange wrote:
MonitorTheSmellOfRain wrote:
Your post reminds me of 8th grade American History when my teacher was telling us a whole bunch of comparisons between Lincoln and JFK.
I don't think that there are that many similarities between Lincoln and Kennedy. When I first heard about Obama gaining popularity back in '05, JFK came to my mind almost immediately. Seriously, almost all my friends who were Democrats were infatuated with the guy--just like Kennedy in the '50s.

I never understood why Democrats (mostly young ones) were so excited about him. Honestly, he hasn't even finished half a term in the Senate, and people thought he would be a better Presidential candidate for the Dems than senior party chieftains like Senate Caucus VP Charles Schumer and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid? Seriously, the rookie senator from Illinois with 3 years experience over veterans of over 20 years? Very strange decision, indeed.

But Obama is the President Elect, and he's going to need all the support he can get.
It was a few years ago, so I don't remember them all, but she had a list that was pages long.
This? I read that awhile ago. It's pretty interesting, even if most of it is made up.
Yeah, I think most of those were on the list the teacher read, but the teacher had a list that was litterally pages long.

Most of it was made up? There are only 3 things listed as possibly not being true.
Yeah, I know. I was exaggerating. But I mean, the ones that are are pretty obscure to the point where you can tell they're stretching the truth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://suburbanglamour.blogspot.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: And the winner is...   

Back to top Go down
 
And the winner is...
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Softswitch MediaCore-winner of TMC 2010 Award
» WebArtz Graphics Contest (Winners-Josh & Veljko)
» Take a UFC fighter to work contest.
» Put Yourself in Rico's Pants contest *canada only*
» Arizona Midday Hawaii Disney Sweepstakes *Arizona only*

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Teenage Wonderland :: Issues :: Current Events & Politics-
Jump to: